Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Hello everyone! I want to thank you so much for following. I really appreciate each and every one of you.

Please Note: Requests are closed at this time. ^_^ Thank you.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Review: Stolen: A Letter to My Captor


Stolen: A Letter to My Captor
Written by: Lucy Christopher
Published: May 4, 2009
Publisher: Chicken House LTD

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost. (From GoodReads)

     I wasn’t really sure what to expect coming into this. It’s not my normal type of read even though I have drifted away from the paranormal from time to time just to give my brain a rest. After reading I’ve read some of the reviews and this is a book where I’ll agree you either like it or you hate it or at least most people. I’m going to remain neutral on this. (I’m going to assume since we know it’s A letter to my captor it’s obvious she’s been freed and is reflecting. If I’ve got any spoilers in here I’m sorry. ^_^)
            
     Since the book actually takes place after the fact, it’s written just as the title indicates. A letter to her captor. Being that it’s just a letter (albeit a long one) and after all the events Gemma feels numb… (the only word I can think of.) Anyone who’s experienced trauma can tell you they feel sort of drifty afterwards and that’s sort of the emotional context I get from this. Our main character is numb and unsure how she feels now so the book comes across as rather flat in some areas. 

     The only other character in the book that affects anything is Ty. Honestly, I think Ty is crazy and he should be locked up. Even after reading, thinking about it, rereading certain areas and thinking about it some more, he’s got no sanity in him. No matter his intention he went about it ass backwards. (Pardon my language.) If he really liked her and he really wanted to be with her he should have done it like everyone else in the world. Approach the girl and ask he out. Stealing her to a hideaway in the middle of nowhere where she could potentially get hurt and die is not my idea of love… Maybe I’m just cold hearted. 

     Some emotion filters in at the end of the book when Gemma is writing her closing. It’s not much, but I’m at least led to believe she’s going to do the right thing… Whether that be put him in jail for life or try to get him a lesser sentence well that’s actually for the reader to imagine. 

     Overall, I have no plans to reread this. Once was enough for me. It’s not a bad book, not by any means, but… at least for me; it’s one of the lesser ones I’ve read this week. I’m leaving this rating-less. I’m going to let you decide. Do you love it? Or hate it?

Touya

No comments:

Post a Comment