Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Hello everyone! I want to thank you so much for following. I really appreciate each and every one of you.

Please Note: Requests are closed at this time. ^_^ Thank you.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Review: 13 to Life


13 to Life: Book 1 of 13 to Life
Author: Shannon Delany
Publish Date: June 22, 2010
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press

Everything about Jessie Gillmansen's life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing.  Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she's about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent--he's a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie's small town. It seems change is the one thing Jessie can't avoid... (From Goodreads)

I like werewolves more then I like vamps. In actuality if a vamp bit me, I’d probably kill myself, but if a wolf did it I’d rejoice, such is my preference. However, in books, the wolves are very rarely done justice. I am dancing for joy with 13 to Life and tempted to read it a second time, TONIGHT. 

I am very much in love with the Rusakovas. All of them, not just Pietr. Max is charmingly adorable; Alexi has that oldest son aura and Catherine, while barely there sometimes, when she is, her presence is formidable. They make a beautiful family even if Pietra had to ring the doorbell to signal the end of a fight for guests. ^_^ What family doesn’t fight? 

Jessica puzzles me a bit. I like her, I like her very much, but I just don’t get her. I understand forgiving your mother’s killer, and helping her recover even, but throwing away your dream guy to the killer is a bit of a steep self sacrifice. I have to agree with Amy on this matter. Jess is a character I want to hug, help shovel stalls with, and kick in the ass for not taking what life has given her with both hands. In a good way of course. 

I detest Sarah. Even detest isn’t a strong enough word. She KNEW you can’t tell me she didn’t and if she didn’t you can’t tell me she’s blind to what Pietr and Jess have. She may have amnesia or brain damage or whatever but a leopard can’t change its spots. I think eventually as we come to term, she’s going to show her true nature. After all you can’t change what you are. She is a mean, cold person and I detest her. Although she does have an awesome vocabulary of big words. (And sometimes I think she’s faking the amnesia thing.)

The book is a stepping stone, an introduction if you will, of bigger things to come. We’ve been given all the players, some minor issues and then the big cohones at the end. We see somewhere in the middle of the book that there’s a big threat to the Rusakova family. Then as we’re closing up that threat materializes into something much, much bigger. 

I LOVE how this leads up to the major issue. I am so thrilled that this isn’t one of those books that throw the issue out on the first page and now we’re scrambling to figure out how to fix it. It’s still a decently paced book, I’m not racing through it, but I am moving seamlessly from one chapter to another. All without the worry of confusing that hey, I think I missed something. 

I am definitely looking forward to the next installment in the series and I’m giving 13 to Life the cake. We’ve got an astounding book, and it deserves the cake to go with the perfect cup of tea. ^_^ 

 My Rating:


Touya

No comments:

Post a Comment