Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Hello everyone! I want to thank you so much for following. I really appreciate each and every one of you.

Please Note: Requests are closed at this time. ^_^ Thank you.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a new Top Ten list is posted that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join us. All you need to do is link back to The Broke and the Bookish with your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! (Mostly borrowed from The Broke as I was too lazy to write it out myself.)

With that being said this week's top Ten list is top ten Childhood Favorites. My list is not in any form of order. It's whatever I thought of at the time of thinking it, so I suppose it is in order in the manner that my brain decided to hurl them out at me. Does that count?

Without further ado, the list:

 
1. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls – This is probably the most reread book of my childhood. I’ve read it so many times I’ve had to replace my copy… twice.  While it’s very sad, I loved this story and continuous read it. I still read it now.  

2. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle – I don’t know anyone that hasn’t read this book. This was my first introduction to sorcery and unicorns.  While I grew up on My Little Ponies (the 80s version) this was the first time I encountered a similar world in a book. 

3. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett – My grandmother had a collection of books form when she was a girl and this was one of them. Needless to say I wasn’t allowed to read her copy until I could be properly trusted to take care of it. That’s probably the reason this story endears to me as one of my favorites. It’s a symbol of responsibility and maturity in more ways than one. 

4. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery – I think this is a typical childhood book for any girl. I didn’t fall for Pollyanna I fell for Ann. I loved her antics and her demeanor though I haven’t read it in some years I still remember parts of the story as clearly as if I had just finished that page. It’s a wonderfully told tale. 

5. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene – I started my Nancy Drew collection when I was in second grade. ^_^ My first book was the Secret in the Old Clock. I continued collecting until I hit my first year of high school. Then they started rereleasing books and it lost some of its luster. 

6. Are you there God? It's me Margaret by Judy Blume – My mother introduced me to this book around the start of puberty. I think I read it ten or twelve times during that phase as a sort of reminder. It’s always good to have that back up person. 

7. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry – This was a powerfully moving book. It made me really think about friendship and the importance of it. Being a minority myself, when reading this I thought about how similar things were still if not necessarily caused by Nazis. I could really connect because in a lot of ways the racism the Nazis had for the Jewish wasn’t much different than the racism I dealt with in school. 

8. Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr – This is the only true story I’ve ever read in my life. I’ve read a lot of based on a true story, but never one that was actually a real true story. Of all the real stories I’ve read (or based on) I love this one the most. 

9. Julie of the wolves by Jean Craighead George – What I remember most about this book, is that I didn’t want to read it. >_< Then after reading it, I had to read the second one. Then read the third one. It sort of drew me in and made me love the characters without even me remembering I didn’t want to read it to begin with. 

10. Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville – It’s been more than fifteen years since I read this book. I couldn’t even remember the title of the book. I remembered the story, the characters and surprisingly several lines from the book. Google is a wonderful thing. When a story stays with you for that long there’s no way it shouldn’t be on this list. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment