Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Hello everyone! I want to thank you so much for following. I really appreciate each and every one of you.

Please Note: Requests are closed at this time. ^_^ Thank you.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Review: One Day


One Day
Author: David Nicholls
Publish Date: June 15, 2010
Publisher: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group

It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. (From Goodreads)



I tried really hard to read this book. I tried really hard to keep reading this book. I can’t torment myself any further. I’ll give my review based on what I’ve read so far. According to the ereader exactly 50 percent.

The book is a slow mover. I mean really, really slow mover. Every action and motion if considered significant is described in detail. Extreme detail. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with detail, but describing the locker room at the job isn’t really significant is it? 

I think Dex is a complete ass and jerk thus far. I think perhaps his mannerism is the reason I stopped reading to begin with. He has absolutely no redeeming qualities. He’s a user, a drunk, and a playboy. Not a great cocktail for any party. 

Em I don’t like much more because she allows herself to be used. I don’t think she’s intentionally spineless, however, Dex has walked all over her, disrespected her boyfriend, and gotten into a drunken fight with her and she STILL goes to see him whenever it’s convenient... for him. She could be a great person, if she dropped the baggage that is Dex. 

I don’t foresee myself finishing this book any time in the future, unless I’m trying to go to bed and need something to dull the nerve endings so I can sleep. It’s not a bad story, or the idea behind it isn’t bad, but the execution thus far leaves something to be desired.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment