Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Hello everyone! I want to thank you so much for following. I really appreciate each and every one of you.

Please Note: Requests are closed at this time. ^_^ Thank you.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Book Review: Touch of Power


Touch of Power
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publish Date: December 2011
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life.... (From Goodreads)

This is the first book I’ve read by Maria V. Snyder.  I had intended on picking up the others but something or another always came up and I haven’t yet had the opportunity to read them.  Thereof I was completely void and had no expectations other than an intriguing story when I began reading. 

I love the created world. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I would love to live here though. Even in the population bare of the kingdoms. The world is so creative I get the impression of something Final Fantasy esk. It’s got its swords and daggers, but then it’s modern labs and studies. And Lilies are my favorite flowers. ^_~

The characters are equally creative. Avry is what every doctor should be.  Friendly, nice, caring, and not above learning something new. Her fears are very real as well, and while she’s apathetic about some things, in understanding her background as the book progresses it’s clear to understand why. There are some things that just can’t be avoided and she deals with them in stride. 

Her counterpart is Kerrick.  He is her opposite but not opposite in many ways.  While not as apathetic as she seems to be; he’s just as stubborn and hard headed as well. He’s also charming and caring when he allows himself to be. It’s interesting to read the conflicts caused by their personalities. 

The story is fast paced. There is never nothing happening. Most of it is caused by Avry herself, although there are a few situations that are caused by sheer stubbornness on Kerriks’ part. I loved reading it. The banter was clever and very often sarcastic, but then most stubborn, apathetic people are. It’s their take on life. 

The great story progression is emphasized by the great character relationships. There’s no instant “OMG I love you” romance that can be so tedious in teen romance.  There’s not instant hate to love either. It’s a gradual progression of hate to wariness to tentative friendship to love that’s so natural there’s no scoffing at the unrealistic-ness of it.

Overall this was a great read. I sat in one sitting and read from start to finish. I also growled at everyone that interrupted me and finally ended up locking myself in my bedroom to read in peace. ^_^ It’s an absolutely fabulous book with an absolutely fabulous world and set of characters. It’s definitely a must read.  I wasn’t disappointed in the least and I am ecstatically looking forward to the next book.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment